The Italian Gardens (sometimes referred to the South Cliff Gardens) located in Scarborough. In the 1850’s, Sir Joseph Paxton created the initial aspect of the gardens with staircases and other features. Further developments were made by the Borough Engineer, Mr Harry. W. Smith the same man behind Peasholm Park in the early 20th Century. The sheltered garden features formal planting, seating and a fishpond overseen by the Roman God, Mercury, the winged messenger.