1. Top leisure industry awards head to Sheffield
Incentive Travel & Corporate Meetings
The Fitness Industry Association has announced it will hold the FIA & Matrix Flame 2012 Conference and Ball at Sheffield International Venues’ Ponds Forge International Sports Centre and the Magna Science Adventure Centre Sheffield on June 27.
2. “Resilient” sports industry will keep outperforming UK economy thanks to London 2012, says new report
Inside the Games
The London Olympics will help the UK sports market to grow by nearly two per cent in 2012, in spite of fears that the wider economy could be pushed closer to recession, according to a new report.
3. The exercise scientist with a moving argument
The Montreal Gazette
Diet is less important than being active, leading researcher Steven Blair says.
4. Scientists crack the code for the DNA diet
British scientists have cracked the code of the DNA diet and say a simple swab of saliva can determine the type of diet and exercise needed for successful weight loss.
5. Do men really care about their weight?
A major national study has revealed that over 80 per cent of men don’t feel good about their appearance with four out of five men confessing to being unhappy about their body shape.
6. Midlands scientists to play key role in keeping us fit and well as we age
Scientists in the Midlands are to share in a £5m research grant to reduce the pain and disability caused by ageing. They aim to establish what goes wrong with our bones, joints, ligaments and muscles as we age and how diet and exercise interventions could help prevent this age related decline.
7. Car and TV ‘increase heart risk’
Owning a car and TV increases the risk of having a heart attack by more than a quarter, a study has found. But the dangers of a sedentary lifestyle can easily be cancelled out by exercise, say researchers.
8. The 10 Best Fitness Gadgets
The Independent looks at the top 10 fitness gadgets available.