1. FIA Research Institute donations round up successful year as charity partner of Help for Heroes
The FIA has rounded up its year as charity partner of Help for Heroes with a donation from FIA Research Institute participants, who have discovered the health benefits of physical activity.
2. Aqua fitness: Cool in the pool
Exercising in water has huge health benefits – but swimming lengths can be repetitive. Now a new wave of aqua fitness workouts is making a splash.
3. Teachers issue video games warning
The Association of Teachers and Lecturers (ATL) raised concerns about the negative impact of children spending hours a day playing computer games that are inappropriate for their age. The warning came as a survey found more than a quarter of parents say their child gets less than half-an-hour of physical activity outside of school.
4. How healthy do you think you are? We give four readers a health MOT
We asked four readers to undergo a rigorous health MOT to see, like a car, if they’re running smoothly or are clapped out.
5. Better stand up to read this: Sitting down for too long could kill you
A major study from Australia found sitting down too long increases your risk of dying within three years, even if you are already physically active.
6. ‘Anti-gravity’ fitness is latest trend as new hi-tech machines help those pounds float away (at least until the end of the class)
Technologies borrowed from the space programme and the circus are helping fitness fans enjoy new ‘anti-gravity’ fitness routines. ‘Anti-gravity’ classes can help overused joints by reducing the weight on them – and allow even the obese to train without risk of injury.
7. Chocolate ‘may help keep people slim’
People who eat chocolate regularly tend to be thinner, new research suggests.
8. Pierre Dukan: celebrity diet doctor faces ethics charge
Pierre Dukan, whose controversial celebrity diet is said to have helped the Duchess of Cambridge squeeze into her wedding dress, could be struck off the medical register over proposals to award extra marks to schoolchildren who lose weight, it has emerged.