Exercise and Industry
1. Elite athletes at greater risk for arthritis: study
Elite male athletes who participate in high-contact sports such as football, soccer and rugby have a higher risk of developing knee and hip osteoarthritis than men who exercise little or not at all, a Swedish study found.
2. Can a gym workout fix my hangover?
On any other morning I’d be hiding under the duvet desperately pressing my alarm’s snooze button. Instead I’m about to start the UK’s only exercise routine formulated with the symptoms of a post-drinking session in mind.
3. Mothers urged to control pregnancy weight
Jo Taylor, midwife for the baby charity Tommy’s, stated that women who make an effort to remain relatively fit during pregnancy will receive a number of health benefits.
4. Gym-goer Alex Field scoops national award
Bucks Free Press
Alex, who has Down’s Syndrome, rowed more than a million metres last year on a rowing machine at The Exercise Clinic, which is based at Wye Valley School.His work at the gym also helped him climb Snowdon, canoe 150 miles down the Thames and achieve his Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award.
Bucks Free Press
Health & Lifestyle
1. Junk food companies use loopholes to advertise to children
Junk food companies are using loopholes in advertising rules to ‘swamp’ children with unhealthy food messages while they play online games, charities warn.
2. Weight loss wonder pill that doesn’t make you sick could be on sale within three years
The drug, which switches off appetite using hormones that are created naturally in the stomach when it is full, is billed as the first to melt away unwanted pounds without causing nasty side effects.
3. Six of the best Xmas family games
“Pick yourself off the sofa and get moving with our favourite calorie-burning games everyone can enjoy.”