Exercise and Industry
1. Beam your way to a flat tummy
Pilates? It’s old news. The latest fitness craze is balancing on a plank as you exercise
2. Jane’s still Fonda exercise at 73 as she releases new fitness DVDs (and shows she still has the moves)
‘I realised that no one is doing videos for people like me, who can’t do what they used to do…or maybe people who have never exercised in their lives. It’s never too late,’ she added encouragingly.
3. New wellness centre for Help for Heroes Tidworth site
At its full capacity of 1,000 the new centre, due to open in mid-2012, will deliver health, sport and exercise programmes to help with rehabilitation.
4. Delight after 17,000 flock to new Oswestry sports centre
Nearly 17,000 people visited Oswestry’s new multi-million pound leisure centre during its first month in operation, it was today revealed.
5. Elderly ‘should continue to exercise’
Private Healthcare UK
Regular gentle exercise should be part of older people’s daily routine. This is the opinion of Friends of the Elderly chief executive Richard Furze, who believes that activities such as walking will provide physical and mental benefits this winter.
Health & Lifestyle
1. Battling to cut cholesterol and get fighting fit – fast
A healthy diet and boot camp sends high cholesterol levels tumbling inside a week.
2. How an incredible seven in 10 households play video games
Mail on Sunday
While some may regard its popularity as a sign of a couch-potato nation, the massive success of ‘healthy’ games such as Wii Fit has been down to its exercise-based content. ‘The fitness aspect has been very important in driving sales,’ said Mr Gee.
Mail on Sunday
3. County’s focus on healthy lifestyles
East Anglian Daily Times
Suffolk County Council (SCC) has been awarded £310,000 from the European Union to spearhead a group of European organisations which will improve the understanding of the best ways to keep 45 to 65-year-olds in good health.